You can help Food For Thought provide lifesaving nutrition services to over 250 seniors in need.
Through our Senior Nutrition Project, we serve seniors who are seriously ill and at great risk of malnutrition, with the following free services:
- Weekly groceries: fresh produce, high-quality protein, healthy grains, vitamins and supplements (enough for 21 meals per week per person)
- Medically tailored meals for those too ill too cook
- Delivery of above services to homebound or homeless clients
- Individual nutrition counseling and group cooking classes with a registered dietician
- Congregate lunch program, 3 days per week
- Weekly case management and additional support
We will improve our clients' health by addressing their serious acute and chronic illnesses through nutrition services. This will in turn allow them to remain independent, age in place, and maximize dignity, self-determination, and comfort.
In the words of 70-year-old client Donna, "Before FFT, I was counting slices of bread, just hoping to make it to the end of the month without going hungry." During her first month with FFT, Donna was too ill to leave the house. She saw such a quick improvement in her health after receiving nutrition services that she began attending our congregate lunches regularly. She has told us how much it means to be able to come in and socialize at lunch, and how much her physical and emotional well-being has increased.
Today, there are thousands of seniors in Sonoma County, and in communities across the country, who are suffering from a range of serious illnesses and are food insecure or lack access to healthy food....read more
Food For Thought's mission is to nourish and serve our community by providing healthy food and compassion to people living with HIV/AIDS and other critical illnesses....read more