San Diego, California
ElderHelp serves a very special population in San Diego, a deserving but forgotten one - our senior residents. The senior population is our fastest-growing segment, and as they become more frail, their social and healthcare needs increase. In order to make their years truly golden, we facilitate what's most important to them: their independence and their continued access to the community. Because most of our clients are low-income, we do this for free. As we help them make ends meet and manage their health needs, we are also relieving the community's safety net structure of additional healthcare and housing expense. We carry out our mission in a very personalized way, committing to working with our clients for the long term. Our staff of experienced social workers train and oversee a large group of volunteers, who are matched with seniors based on their skill set and personality fit. Volunteers deliver almost all of the direct services. In doing so, they become our eyes and ears, supplementing staff case management to ensure seniors' basic needs are being met.
ElderHelp provides its multitude of services through five core programs:
1. Care Coordination includes health advocacy, case management, grocery shopping, escorted transportation, home safety inspections and modifications, minor home repairs, light housekeeping, companionship, financial advocacy, and pet care.
2. HomeShare provides roommate matching services that satisfies the needs of two people: for seniors who have a spare bedroom and would like to supplement their income or would like a helping hand around the house; and for home seekers who are looking for an affordable rent situation, not readily available in San Diego County.
3. Seniors A Go Go offers much-need transportation services for seniors who find it necessary to give up their driving privileges; our priority is to get them to medical appointments, but it is also important to give them access to other opportunities to keep connected to their communities.
4. Our Employed Family Caregiver Support program establishes mutually beneficial relationships with corporations by inviting their group volunteer participation, by offering employed family caregiver education onsite, and by furthering relationships with corporate leadership and decision-makers.
5. As a first line of contact, our Intake and Referral service assists seniors and their families with an introduction to our programs and offers relevant suggestions regarding the large number of senior resources available in San Diego County.
In addition, ElderHelp provides clients with access to tax assistance, legal help, benefits counseling and general information and resources for the aging population.
Thank you a thousand times for sending these people to me. Your organization has been a wonderful blessing, and I don't know what I'd do without you.~Amy
As I have grown older, many of my friends have passed on, or have moved to be closer to family members. My world has become much smaller. ElderHelp has improved my life beyond measure. The services they provide have made my life a lot easier, and enriched it in many ways. I have a sense of freedom. ~Evelyn
What I love about ElderHelp is that you let me make all the decisions. When the Care Coordinator visited, she asked me what I needed, she didn't tell me what she thought I needed. That's big. ~Beverly
I've been thinking about our visit all morning. I've had a few years of rain only, and now I have a ray of sunshine. I feel like I have hope, and feel alive again. It's so good to have something to look forward to. ~Adele
ElderHelp provides personalized services and information that help seniors remain independent and live with dignity in their own homes.