Through our Senior Nutrition Program, Food For Thought serves over 250 low-income, seriously ill seniors in Sonoma County with the following lifesaving nutrition services, all free of charge:
• Weekly groceries, including fresh produce, high-quality protein, healthy grains, vitamins and supplements, and medically tailored meals (enough for 21 meals per week per person)
• Countywide delivery to any client who cannot travel to the food bank, including homebound and homeless clients
• Individual nutrition counseling and group cooking classes with a registered dietician
• Congregate lunch program, offered three days per week
• Regular check-in with a case manager
Today, there are thousands of seniors in Sonoma County, and in communities across the country, who are suffering from a range of serious illnesses and are food insecure or lack access to healthy food. Without proper nutrition, these elders will not be able to heal, remain independent, or be productive members of society. Food For Thought's life-sustaining nutrition services enable hundreds of seniors living with serious illnesses to eat healthily.
"I had to leave a good county job years ago because of my health, and I've managed thanks to the food bank and my disability plan. Last year, my health and my finances took a plunge - I had a heart attack, and when I turned 65, my disability payments came to an end. So now I'm living on $900 a month in social security, which in this county is close to homelessness. If it weren't for Food For Thought, I couldn't make ends meet."
- Steve, FFT client and volunteer
Food For Thought's mission is to foster health and healing with food and compassion.